Monday, June 9, 2008

Four Chairs

I have now completed four of 100 adirondack chairs. Four baby steps in three weeks. At this pace it's looking more like two years to complete my "journey". Unless I can quit my day job. That's where you come in. I encourage you to visit my website. All chairs are posted there. Buy early, buy often.

My current design platform is called "The Weekender". The idea was to start simple.
Take the basic adirondack form and make subtle changes and improvements. By raising the seat and decreasing the pitch, my Weekenders are a breeze getting in and out of. (< Is that a dangling participle?). My arms are wider than the average adirondack. Big enough for a plate and beverage, eyeglasses and newspaper. I love the Weekender for it's generous proportions. They're made of solid white oak , purchased from an 85 year old gentleman in Madison Maine. I use Benjamin Moore's premium exterior soft gloss acrylic house paint. Two coats over a Kilz primer.
I expect my chairs to serve a lifetime of summer days.

"One", "Two", "Three" and "Four" are all based on the Weekender platform. I am very happy with the way they came out. Simple, substantial and comfortable. Now it's time to move on. New ideas are percolating. It's back to the workshop for me.

No comments: