Sunday, July 20, 2008

Only The Finest Ingredients...

I use only the finest ingredients in my chairs. I purchase all my hardwoods locally from sawyers whose reputations I know, selecting each and every board by hand. Lately I've been using only white oak for it's exceptional weather resistant properties. I use Titebond III wood glue and Spax stainless steel wood screws. Titebond's reputation is well know throughout the industry and their premium water proof glue is the new standard for exterior applications. German-made Spax drive like a charm and provide superior holding power. When it comes to fine finishes you can't beat Benjamin Moore. I like to use their MoorGlo 100% Acrylic House paint. I have coated several test boards using different colors and left them outdoors through two Maine winters. They still look great. I am amazed at how durable and color-fast this paint is. Great stuff. I suppose I could use cheaper materials and save quite a bit on cost. A pine chair, made with standard hardware and finished with a cheap house paint can cost as little as $25 to make. But will they last a lifetime? I think not. My material costs are just under $100 per chair. For that you get a lifetime of enjoyment and the peace of mind of knowing that the beauty of my chairs isn't just skin deep. The quality goes to the heart (wood).

No comments: