Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Three Paintings








I've been painting these last several days. Each of these is pretty large. I used sheets of 1/4" thick hardboard measuring 48" long by 32" tall. Top to bottom: "Sprawl", "Industrial Park" and "On The Grid". I set the hardboard down on sawhorses and worked over it. I prefer 1" foam brushes and like to lay the paint on thick. The paint is leftover from my "Journey of 100 Chairs" project. I lose track of time, becoming totally absorbed by the work. Usually I start with an idea. "Sprawl" shows how we eat up green space when everybody gets their own piece of the American Pie. "Industrial Park" is all about concrete and tractor trailers lined up at warehouses. The natural landscape peeks through in tiny blocks of green. "On The Grid" shows a small piece of shoreline or natural landscape becoming absorbed into the Grid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya,

Found your blog after your nice mention in the Portland Press Herald Adirondack chair story. Your chairs are great, and your sense of humor too. I love Jordan's, paintings, great colors.

I appreciate your advice on measuring the angle of a chair you like and going from there. I've been thinking about building a Wave Hill chair for some time, and now may be the time -- since I'm sure not getting much beach time in!

Thanks,
Ali from Maine