Thursday, April 9, 2009

Orphan Hardwoods


I don't trust softwoods like cedar and pine to withstand the rigors of outdoor living, so I use what I like to call "Orphan Hardwoods" to build my chairs. Orphan Hardwoods are procured through Uncle Henry's, that iconic want advertiser here in Maine. Mainers are always selling something. It can be maple, oak, cherry, ash or birch. I usually buy it in bundles of 300 board feet or more at one time. It takes about 30 feet to make a chair. Because it is not considered cabinet grade or "FAS" (firsts and seconds in lumber grading lingo), I can get a good price. It's not pretty wood but it is structurally sound and gets the job done. I'm going to paint it anyway. The way I figure it, wood destined for the pallet mill has been given a new life as a thing of beauty.

No comments: