Sunday, June 14, 2009

Oddirondack

This is an odd chair. I started building from the ground up with no preconceived notion of how it would turn out. I guess I was hoping for a happy accident, a momentery spark of shear genius. This is what came out. Not sure I like it. The back makes me think of Mickey Mouse. It's comfortable enough but I'm not sure it works from a visual standpoint. It's like that Toyota Prius. A great automobile from a purely functional standpoint, but about as ugly a car as I've ever seen. I'm not sure my chair is as ugly as the Prius. But it's a close second.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

And "that Toyota Prius" is a Maine-ism as pure as "from away" as you can get.

I can tell the multi-generational, local Mainers (and no, I'm not one; I'm from away) when I tell them my address, Worthing road.

"Oh, you're on *the* Worthing Road?" they invariably ask. It's not "Readfield road," it's "the Readfield road." Subtle, but detectable. Like INsurance for inSURance from my Colorado friends.

*that* Toyota Prius.

When I was first dating my betrothed, a Millinocket native, I, a misplaced mid-west soul, living in New Hampshire (as far and distinct from Maine as is Arkansas), would hear the elders grumble about the "Taurus," which caused untold consternation and contemplation of Ford's competent and competitive automobile until I deciphered "Tourists" from their speach.

Of course.

Tourists. I'm one. I'm from away. Will you all adopt me?