Sunday, June 21, 2009

Perfect Pitch

Hey, I'm almost famous. Ray Routhier gave me a nice mention in his article on DIY Adirondacks in the Portland Sunday Telegram. Thanks for the press Ray! My "Grace" chair pretty much sums up my philosophy on angles. Don't worry about exact numbers of degrees. Go out and buy a $5.00 bevel gauge (an instrument used for transferring angles) and lay it into your favorite chair. Tweak or transfer those angles to the chair you are building, and you'll have the perfect pitch to fit you. Another thing you will want to pay attention to is keeping your arms flat. Get your level out for that. And last piece of advice: make your arms wide. I'm talking fat. Don't be stingy. Most manufacturers give you skinny little arms. Well guess what? They want to sell you those cheap little side tables too. Don't fuss too much over your first chair(s). Practise makes perfect. I'm still trying to get there.
Drop me an email if you need some help or encouragement.

No comments: